Creating a Web Application with Host Header; Cannot open the SharePoint site on server, but works on clients
I had to Create a SiteCollection with a host header irrespective of the WebApplication host header
(even if the WebApplication did not have a host header)
In PowerShell: New-SPSite http://host.header.site.url -OwnerAlias DOMAIN\username -HostHeaderWebApplication http://servername
But this gave birth to a new issue:
Cannot open the SharePoint site on server, but works on clients
Solution:Suppose you run into problems with your machine that you can never open the SharePoint site on your server
There might be several reasons why you may run into this
First question: do you have a Host header on the site?
Second: did you configure the site in a Host header mode?
Third : Is the site browse able on the server with servername ?
If you answer yes to all three I guess I know what to do, also even if you answer no to the third one we are still good….
Followed the KB http://support.microsoft.com/kb/896861 and disabled loopback check
Steps to do that are as follows:
Disable the loopback check
Follow these steps:
1. Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK.
2. In Registry Editor, locate and then click the following registry key:
3. Right-click Lsa, point to New, and then click DWORD Value.
4. Type DisableLoopbackCheck, and then press ENTER.
5. Right-click DisableLoopbackCheck, and then click Modify.
6. In the Value data box, type 1, and then click OK.
7. Quit Registry Editor, and then restart your computer.
Now it is okay if you do not restart the machine, sometimes it just takes it and the site should be then browseable on the server
Hope this will be helpful in your current and future SharePoint Implementations.